For my friends outside of California...

...and the ones here too!

If you think that the upcoming election and Proposition 8 won't affect you, please read THIS!

http://www.aclu.org/pdfs/lgbt/camarriage_joint_20080609.pdf

The article is all about the ACLU's agenda to legalize same-sex marriage in every state and their plan to do so. Here's a highlight if you refuse to click on the link -

8. The most important thing now is to hold on to the win in California.
Marriage in California will transform the national debate on the freedom to marry. It will do that because the decision is well-reasoned constitutional law from the most influential state court in the nation. It will do that because California is an American trendsetter. But marriage in California will do those things only if we can hold onto it. There is a proposal on the November ballot to ban marriage between lesbian and gay couples. That proposal would put into the California Constitution a clause that only allows heterosexual marriages . The fundamental freedom to marry would be denied to lesbian and gay couples, and the concept of treating people differently would be written into the California Constitution. We think we can beat this because Californians don’t want unnecessary government intrusion into their lives and don’t want people treated unfairly under the Constitution

This just gave me a reason to fight a whole lot harder! Please, do everything you can to get the word out. Even if you don't live in California, you know Californians, and they read your blog and emails. Help us win this fight so that you don't have this fight in your state soon. Vote YES on Proposition 8!


About this entry


16 validations:

  1. Benjamin October 27, 2008 at 7:41 AM

    I only really care about two states: Massachusetts, which already offers gay marriage, and Utah, which never will. So I guess I'm all set and don't need to care about prop 8, sucka!

     
  2. Hizzeather October 27, 2008 at 8:10 AM

    I guess you didn't read it. They are looking to get enough states that have it legal so they can attack and legalize gay marriage on a FEDERAL level. Last I checked Utah was part of the United States, so I'm afraid this does affect you. Maybe you should move to the state of Denial...you hang out there enough.

     
  3. Kristina P. October 27, 2008 at 8:17 AM

    I answered you question in today's blog!

     
  4. Brittany Marie October 27, 2008 at 8:39 AM

    Good post. I just read this article by Orson Scott Card. It's really good!

    http://mormontimes.com/mormon_voices/orson_scott_card/?id=4740

     
  5. Hizzeather October 27, 2008 at 8:52 AM

    Thanks Brittany! I put it on our blog. :)

     
  6. Jules AF October 27, 2008 at 10:06 AM

    I can't vote in CA anymore. My parents are voting yes. I don't influence people to go one way or another, so I don't see a reason for me to actively campaign. Sorry!

     
  7. Hizzeather October 27, 2008 at 10:21 AM

    Oh my dear Julie, you have no idea what influence you have! I'm not sure if all that I am doing is making a difference, but I have to try!

    I can understand the apathy of some people. If I wasn't in the middle of this "war zone", I might not understand either. That's why I'm reporting from the "front." Check out the blog preservingmarriage.blogspot.com

     
  8. The Persson's October 27, 2008 at 2:35 PM

    Wow, that article is proof of what I believed all along. Thanks for doing such an amazing job making information like this accessible.

    You are awesome Heather!

     
  9. Nicole October 29, 2008 at 3:22 PM

    I don't even want to think about what will happen if Prop 8 doesn't pass. This is going to be a very influential election. Which, by the way, I'm actually registered to vote in California...even though I currently live in Michigan. I'm going to see if it'll be possible to vote while I'm there this weekend.

     
  10. Greg R. November 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM

    Stumbled on this blog...just wanted to express appreciation for the work you and others have put in to help prop 8 pass. I recognize it came at great sacrifice.

    I'm a member in Wisconsin and will probably have a similar battle at some point.

     
  11. Hizzeather November 5, 2008 at 5:51 PM

    Thanks for your support Greg! It means the world to me!

     
  12. Tracy November 5, 2008 at 6:54 PM

    this was one of the reasons I fought so hard for Prop 8.

    I'm glad it's over! :)

     
  13. Anonymous November 5, 2008 at 8:08 PM

    Thanks for all you Californians have done!!

    My cousin has also worked tirelessly in San Diego on prop 8 and challenged us all to blog about it (since hers is private) and I agonized over it all weekend, but after a RS lesson on celestial marriage, I knew I had to take a stand publicly on my blog. We are clueless here in Utah about just what a warzone you guys have been in the middle of there. I've done so much researching over the past few days and articles like what you posted just scare me to death. But I also have 3 children and I know I need to stand up for what I believe in NOW or who knows what kind of world they'll be growing up in.

    Anyway, thank you again for all of your efforts. :)
    Kristiana

     
  14. Hizzeather November 5, 2008 at 8:38 PM

    Thank you very much Kristiana! Your support means everything to us!!!!

     
  15. Jessica Martiele November 5, 2008 at 10:21 PM

    You rock. Thank you so much; it's so great to know we are not alone. God bless!!! (By the way, where in CA are you?)

     
  16. Anonymous November 6, 2008 at 8:16 AM

    It's good to see a voice on prop 8. You know even though it looks like it will pass, it's important to remember the corporations that don't support traditional marriage. They will continue to support the opposition. McDonald's, Apple and Google all don't support traditional marriage. Time to say goodbye to Big Macs, iPods and Google. If every faithful member did it would send a message.

    BTW Blogger is part of Google, so as Elder Oaks puts it blogging with them can be construed as support for gay marriage. Is that a message we want to send? Delete your blogs, follow the prophet, support traditional marriage (even though we believe eternally one man and one, or more, women is okay) and spread the word to friends & family. It's not easy, but isn't it worth it to stand for something.