Earthquake!

So...I am a Californian, all my life, and I love it here. I realize that earthquakes are part of the deal. But I however did not think about having to endure an earthquake in the top floor of a 16-story high rise!

I have never been on a large boat, but I think that's what it felt like. The building rocked and swayed, even after the quake stopped. I know that it's supposed to do that, but it was still crazy! I was nauseous for a few minutes afterwards. I can't even explain in words the feelings I had when I realized that we were having an earthquake and I was up so high. It doesn't really matter where you stand if it's big enough!

After it was over, I realized that although we got hit hard, that we were probably not the epicenter and I started worrying about my family, who all live near the San Andreas fault. Although it took about an hour to get through on the phones due to all the lines being jammed, email and texts helped me to know everyone was okay. Thank goodness for the Internet!

I am very thankful that we all got that nice ride and that no one was killed...as far as I know. I think damage was minimal, so thank goodness. Apparently the word is that this was just a little preview of what we are in store for in the next few years...I guess we are "due" for a big one. I've been hearing that for years, but this made me think that I definitely want to be prepared! Make sure you all have your emergency kits, food, water, money and essentials people!!!! It's good to have at least a 3 month supply!

So, I had to recover quickly, because we had a big day at the firm, at least for me. We had to cut 25 pies into 8 slices each and we had the In'n'Out Truck come and serve our entire staff. It was a Summer BBQ mixer of sorts. It was really yummy, and once again I think I work at a really cool place. I enjoyed myself, but I was still shaken a little, especially when I had to ride the elevator.
After work I stopped by the library and got 5 books (yeah!). If you are not on Goodreads yet, join! I came home to find just a few things fell. Things fell behind my dresser, and the weird thing was that out of everything on my bookshelf, only 3 things fell to the ground.

I guess this is a good reminder that when life gives us earthquakes, we need to pull ourselves together to live, laugh, and love. :)


About this entry


4 validations:

  1. Kristina P. July 29, 2008 at 5:11 PM

    Glad you're OK! I grew up in Riverside, and still have family there. My aunt called me and they decided that I was going to be their out of State emergency contact in case a major one hits.

    We're always being told that if Utah has an eathquake, it will be devastating. I haven't been in an earthquake since I lived in California, 18 years ago.

    We were actually just talking about emergency plans and kits at work today, in case something happens while we're at work. Fun times!

     
  2. Aubrey Messick July 30, 2008 at 9:00 AM

    That was definitely a crazy little earthquake. I almost peed myself! I'm such a baby!

     
  3. Unknown July 31, 2008 at 7:10 AM

    I laugh at people over here and earthquakes we had one a few months ago which was a 5.0 and it was the spotlight of the news for 3 days. People were interviewed saying they thought they were going to die etc. So funny. I was more shocked to see an in and out truck in your photo. What the heck. We cant even get 1 in and out in this whole freakin country and you have in and out drive to your place of business? that is NOT KOSHER!!! lol. Hope you enjoyed it. My mouth is watering and Im trying to pretend my PB&J sandwich is a double double with grilled onions.... It isnt working well!

     
  4. Julie M. July 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM

    "Live, laugh, love"; That's what the earthquake was trying to tell everyone and you are the only one who got the message. Alert the media!