My Latest Obsession

Fat-Flushing, Energy-Boosting smoothies! :) I have a hard time saying it, but I love them! I've slowly been starting a health kick, due to many reasons, but this week I kicked it up a notch.

We had a doctor come to our office and speak about eating healthy. I won't take everything he said as gospel, because every doctor has their own opinions, but here were some of things that piqued my iterest.

*Milk is bad for you (huh?). He said that they give cows growth hormones to stimulate milk production, and then the cows get sick, so they also give them antibiotics. All that ends up in our milk. He didn't say anything about organic, and I didn't ask. He said Almond Milk was best.

*The number one bad food for people? DONUTS! Zero nutritional value, tons of fat and sugar. Almost everything else has at least a little value.

*It's hard to be perfect with our eating habits, so shoot for 80/20...80% good eating, 20% not-so-good.

*It takes 10 gallons of water to restore our Ph levels after we drink a can of coke. Since we don't ever drink that much, our body takes calcium from our bones and teeth to help balance the levels. YIKES!

He said a bunch of other stuff too, but these "spoke" to me. He also gave us a list of natural substances that we should take to aid in our health and weight loss, like flax seed oil and red-wine vinegar and stuff like that. Very informative.

I had been talking with friends about stuff that I could take to help my body heal from this drama with the chronic urticaria that I have going on, and we discussed flax seed oil. These two separate things made me finally decide to start taking flax seed. The doctor gave us this cool smoothie recipe...I modified it a smidge based on other recipes I found online.

1/2 cup almond milk
1 scoop protein powder
2 tablespoons flax seed oil
1/2 cup of frozen fruit
1 - 2 teaspoons stevia (a natural sweetener)
water

Blend this all up and you got yourself a yummy smoothie!

I use mango and berry blends...I'm going to try peaches next instead of mango. You can use whatever fruit you want, but I recommend to have at least 1/4 cup berries to keep the color pretty. :) I got everything at Trader Joe's and Mother's.
My imitation Bullet I got at Macy's...works just as good for only $25! And it's prettier! :)
Mmmmmmm....all done and ready to sip through a straw. It takes about 5 minutes, clean-up is a breeze, and they are so yummy! make sure you check your teeth after drinking for berry seeds!

I've had one every morning for breakfast and I love the difference it has made in my life! I'm not a big breakfast person, but I know it's an important meal...it jump-starts your metabolism. I love them so much that I also had one for dinner last night! I've figured that it has slightly less than 300 calories...nice!
On a side note...I've been thinking about starting a blog with some friends who are interested to help motivate us to be healthier and lose weight if needed. We can share tips and success stories, and hopefully stay motivated. Anyone interested?


About this entry


14 validations:

  1. Aubrey Messick August 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM

    ok. thats it. i'm done with the diet coke. thanks for the tip over the edge girl!

     
  2. Unknown August 22, 2008 at 11:00 AM

    I wish I had trader joes here. I've never been there but hear from the CA fam that it's the best. I love these tips. I don't like that whole milk thing, yuk! I hate coke or soda so I just stick to water, but I definitely need to drink more of it and those smoothies sound so good.

     
  3. Tara August 22, 2008 at 1:27 PM

    Smoothie looks yummy!

    Yes start that blog and count me in!!

     
  4. Kristina P. August 22, 2008 at 2:56 PM

    I lost a ton of weight about 6 years, ago, and have maybe put on 10 pounds since then, but with my work schedule, my desire to go to the gym is nil. I do try to be better with my eating habits to counteract my laziness.

     
  5. Tara August 22, 2008 at 4:27 PM

    Me again! Hey how do you put the good reads on your blog, and also books currently reading on your blog. I have seen it but can't figure it out! ;0) Thanks!

     
  6. Christa Jeanne August 23, 2008 at 9:36 AM

    Wow, that soda thing is killer! All the more incentive to quit...

    And count me in for the health blog! Those smoothies look soooo tasty, I'm going to have to make one.

     
  7. Christa Jeanne August 23, 2008 at 9:37 AM

    Oh, and Tara - when you go to Goodreads, click on my books, and in the upper right corner, there's a link for widgets. You can lift the HTML coding from there, and then in blogger, add the HTML widget and paste in the coding. Voila!

    (I just figured it out last night - so fun!)

     
  8. Christa Jeanne August 23, 2008 at 9:37 AM

    Oh, and Tara - when you go to Goodreads, click on my books, and in the upper right corner, there's a link for widgets. You can lift the HTML coding from there, and then in blogger, add the HTML widget and paste in the coding. Voila!

    (I just figured it out last night - so fun!)

     
  9. Karly August 24, 2008 at 12:16 AM

    Hey, hey. Great smoothie idea, I am definitely going to try it.
    And I would so totally be all over the healthy blog idea. :)

     
  10. Wade August 24, 2008 at 8:52 PM

    Hey Heather,
    we went to visit another ward this week. Missionary farewell for my friends son. A kid I worked with 2 summers ago is serving in Kiev. Jake Maddox. I wonder if Cody knows him?
    Small world eh? I wouldn't want to paint it.

    Wade

     
  11. Brittany Marie August 25, 2008 at 7:34 PM

    I am 10-15 lbs. away from my goal weight (I just blogged about that today!) But I'm sure I will still need help maintaining it- I'm always looking for good recipes.

     
  12. Anonymous August 27, 2008 at 11:40 AM

    So I have converted to organic milk (and have converted Mr. F. to organic as well.) Organic milk, at least the kind I buy, does not contain hormones. If I remember correctly, the milk at TJs (organic or not) didn't contain growth hormones either. It also tastes a whole lot better.

    I have recipe for smoothies that uses silken tofu, orange juice, honey, and frozen fruit that is to die for. All natural and the tofu adds the much needed protein.

    And just keeping hydrated (water) can really keep down on phantom hunger pangs that hit in the afternoon. You think you are hungry but you are either just bored or dehydrated. At least, that is the case for me.

     
  13. Hizzeather August 27, 2008 at 1:50 PM

    Sounds like Lady Susan wants to be a regular contributor to our "get and stay healthy" blog!!!! :)

     
  14. chris August 28, 2008 at 4:45 PM

    Coke isn't really much more acidic than orange juice or a lemon. So, while I don't enjoy Coke, I don't think your claim is all that substantial. Our digestive system clears out practically everything in coke. Hooray for nature -- protecting our consumer-based selves.

    Smoothies are better than coke.

    But water is the best.